The Media Cloud project (http://mediacloud.org) is seeking a Researcher/Community Manager to conduct research on media manipulation and to work with social change organizations to analyze conversations in digital media. The Media Cloud platform is a set of online tools for monitoring and measuring online media coverage. After becoming proficient in the use of the Media Cloud tool suite, the Researcher/Community Manager will contribute to ongoing research and help partner organizations explore online media coverage of issues related to their goals. The Researcher/Community Manager’s primary responsibilities are to develop a deep understanding of digital media ecosystems; to work with Media Cloud partners to conduct research on their dynamics; and to use those experiences to help inform further development of the Media Cloud tools.
The Media Cloud Researcher/Community Manager will work closely with researchers and developers on the Media Cloud team at the MIT Media Lab and at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University. This grant-funded position provides an opportunity for someone to conduct important research into how social mobilization interacts with media and to help make Media Cloud more useful for non-profits trying to understand and the role of media for democratic processes. It is expected that scholarly and popular publications will arise from this research.
- Produce original research using Media Cloud tools and publishes in cooperation with Media Cloud team and partner organizations;
- Manage communications with multiple external partner organizations;
- Construct and maintain search queries on various topics using Media Cloud tools;
- Clearly and concisely communicate research discoveries to partners and partner needs to the Media Cloud research team;
- Develop and produce reports and multimedia training materials for partners and sponsor organizations;
- Represent the needs of end users, participate in design discussions and help prioritize improvements on the Media Cloud tools;
- Report to Media Cloud Team on important trends in topic areas critical to partner organizations;
- Help with Media Cloud outreach efforts by running training sessions, workshops and supporting.
- This is a one-year appointment with the possibility of extension.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or health-related field, and at least one year’s research experience;
- Experience and/or interest in social change topics, particularly in the field of political communication and/or human rights;
- Active participation in online communities;
- Experience with creative uses of new technologies for social change;
- Project management experience;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Excels at considering issues from multiple perspectives;
- Able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong group facilitator;
- Expertise with explaining complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Master’s degree in political sciences, communication, or social sciences
- Fluency in languages other than English.
Apply via the MIT Careers website (Job ID 15618)