Creating Technology for Social Change

Solve rural depopulation through civic media?

I have my own project in Japan, called SoHub, where multidisciplinary teams work with a rural community that improve the lives in the community through collaborative technology solutions. The community we are currently working with is Tane in Shiga prefecture, which is a rural community facing the depopulation. In SoHub, we are trying to tackle the population challenge through improving the smaller factors (for example agricultural production and housing) of the community – and this motivated me to think of a civic media project.
Can we solve tackle the rural depopulation through civic media?

Once communities start to face depopulation, it is pretty difficult to get away of the loop. Look at the diagram below.

It is a problem in both developing countries like Ethiopia and developed countries like Japan. Some people have been thinking of creative solutions for this issue and one project I’m keeping my eyes on is an initiative called i.club in University of Tokyo.
i.club provides the opportunities to young people in rural communities to discover the “good” in local and to create their own project (i.club calls it “club activity”) among students. Their mission is to remind young people of what is good about their community, and reduce the number of young people leaving the communities. The initiative started several years ago and since its impact is geared towards the long-term change, I cannot clearly say if it’s successful or not. However, I see a lot of values in this project…

What I would like to do for my civic media project is along this line – not sure about the specific details, but I have the following 3 ideas in my mind.
1) Through my experiences in Tane, I noticed the general trend like this; young generations are into the media and outside world, but don’t care much about the community; older generations care a lot about the community but not really into the media or outside of their community. Can we create a civic media that bridges between them for the good of the community?

2) What follows depopulation is the fragmentation, in terms of space, relationships and community cultures. Can we create a civic media that puts these scattered pieces together, to improve their living condition?

3) Rural communities often have extra resources, such as spaces and houses, that can be reused if there is labor. Can we create a civic media to promote these for the better use?

For each of the challenge, I have a few ideas but just still up in the air – would like to hear many people’s ideas on “what if we do this …?” kindof things. Hopefully I would be able to go forward with the project including some hardware design!